Gaylords Say 'No'

...more commonly mean 'Yes'

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Prancing In The Streets


What a strangely enjoyable August Bank Holiday weekend.

This was my first ever experience of the Notting Hill Carnival, I thought it was fabulous, everyone was so friendly, the atmosphere was fun and energetic. I'd always had reservations about going to the carnival, for the simple reason, I don't like crowds. There was something about this event though that made you want to be part of the crowd and enjoy it as much as the performers in the procession seemed to be.

Now I was lucky enough to be enjoying the festivities with a very good friend who was over from Cambodia for a few weeks. We made a great compliment for reveling, boozing and really getting into what I like to think was the 'spirit' of the day.

It's on that idea of 'spirit' that gets me to Tom. Several beers into the day Trix and I are doing to whole Pied Piper thing behind one of the floats, then amongst the crowd I notice a guy who seems like he's not enjoying it quite as much as the rest of us. I ask him if he's okay, he tell me that he's lost all the rest of his mates and he's been up and down the road looking for them for hours. My friend and I enjoying the day so much take this guy under our wing and carry on partying with him. It just seemed the right thing to do on a day like that, we all enjoyed it. Tom I hope you made it back to Basildon in the end and were reunited with your girlfriend and mates.

I can't recommend the carnival enough, it was such a fun day. Thank you everyone.

2 Comments:

At 2:28 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 days I have checked this web site for an update and at long last my prayers have been answered… an update!

Glad to see you enjoyed the Carnival I myself must go. I have been in the Caribbean during crop over (origins of the Carnival) and that was amazing, next year I will make the effort to go to Notting Hill.

Your fear of crowds explains why you support Spurs, No danger of one being there. :0) boom boom I’m here for the week try the veal....

 
At 2:32 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

before I forget don't wait so long before the next update!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home