Gaylords Say 'No'

...more commonly mean 'Yes'

Monday, July 21, 2008

Get Into The Groove (Armada)


I might have to rename my blog Lush Life as it seems the only thing I find worth writing about, or maybe All The Reasons Why I'm Going To Hell.

Any way confession over (bless) I went to Lovebox this weekend and tobe honest I have mixed feelings about it. Unquestionably the best part was hanging out with Brenna and meeting her very good mates, sadly the line-up did not impress me much. To be fair I think this was partially our own fault, we literally stood in one spot the whole time from 4 till 10:30, but then the acts we were most interested in seeing were on the main stage.

The first act the Ladywhites: NEXT. Followed by nearly 40 minutes of silence from the stage - in hindsight this would have been the opportune time to look around the rest of the festival, instead we played my favourite game, drink the beer, or rather cider. Next up is The Human League, who are an improvement and towards the end (when they start playing songs we recognise) the crowd start to liven up with classics Tell Me When and, as I predicted, they conclude with Don't You Want Me Baby.

This time they do fill some of the intermediate time with beat box-er Beardy Man, he is brilliant, I've seen him on the web before and the sounds that one human can create are incredible. What we are discovering by this point is that the bar situation is terrible, there are lots of staff but they are grouped in threes per section, only one is serving while two others are sat at the back taking the cash, which seems pointless and it's already 7 deep at the bar, it takes 30 minutes to get served, by which point the group I really wanted to see have started.

Groove Armada play several of their classic hits and are by far the best act of the night, sadly even their performance is lacking drive and build and the pathetically small fireworks they launch during the set are laughable and remind me of the Glitter Cannons that Alan Partridge launches in his Dante Fireplaces presentation! Still it's great to finally see them live.

The final act of the night is Manu Chow, I've been told by my flat mate that he's very lively 'world' music, I'm optimistic, I've seen some really good live world music, initially he sounds pretty good until we realise every song sounds exactly the same and he plays for two hours. I'm even more gutted when I found out afterwards that 2 Many DJ's (a superb DJ outfit) were playing elsewhere in the festival despite not being named on the bill.

When it finally finishes I'm ready to leave and party with my new found friends, oh yeah and it's my other flatmates birthday party, maybe I should try and get to that too... oops!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home